Drev’s old church
The old church at Drev is built on a knoll amid an ancient landscape full of early remains. The curch is the oldest preserved church in this province, dating from around 1170.
There are traces of blocked-up doorways and windows in the walls. The men’s entrance was on the south side, the women’s on the north. the priest entered the chancel directly from the south.
The interior is richly decorated with paintings and carved wooden furnishings. The pews were built in 1669, the galleries in 1697 and the pulpit in 1702. The ceiling paintings by J.C. Zschotzsher from 1751 were paid for by the church’s patron, Benzelstierna, whose coat of arms can be seen on the choir ceiling. To the sides of the altar, the list of kings and the list of this diocese’s bishops respectively are painted.
The church was abandoned in 1868 when the new church was finished. It stood empty for 40 years before being restored to use.
- Drev Hornaryd församling
- Växjö stift
- Kronoberg @en
- Växjö kommun