The Ruins of Roma Monastery
Roma Monastery was built in 1164 by Cistercian monks. The monks established a religious and agricultural centre for the entire Baltic Sea region.
After the Reformation in the early 16th century, the monastery was abandoned. It was then under the Danish Crown. The monastery building was deserted and partly demolished. The Church was used as stables. In 1645, through the peace treaty in Brömsebro, Gotland became Swedish again.
In 1733, County Governor Johan Dietrich Grönhagen, build a new stately residence, using material from the old monastery in the construction. No major changes have been made since then.
It was used as the residence for the County Governor until 1822.
Today the ruins are well known for the Shakesperian plays that are performed here every summer.
- Enjoy Sweden
- Gotland @en
- Gotlands kommun